Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Forecast

It was supposed to rain yesterday.  Instead, it looked like this:



(Okay, the crappy Blackberry camera doesn't do it justice.)  I think that's one of my favorite things about calling California home.  I've lived places where a 30% chance of rain means it'll definitely rain.  Here, a 70% chance of rain means it'll probably be sunny.



Walking along the cliffs in the bright sunshine when it was supposed to be raining got Lennox Fleary's song "Days of Rain" stuck in my head.  Which is a good thing, because four hours later I was playing "Days of Rain" and a dozen other tunes in concert with Lennox and an amazing cadre of voracious musical animals: Daniel Estay (guitarist, singer, songwriter); Isaac Sturtevant (guitarist, keyboardist, singer, songwriter, and one-half of the Oregon-based indie band In My Opinion); Anthony DiRocco (drummer, songwriter, and the other half of In My Opinion); Keaver Brenai (singer, songwriter); and Marika Papazoglu (singer, songwriter).

Fell in love with Lennox's music from the moment I heard it.  He was playing the Saturday morning I walked into the Purple Church for the first time.  His music was the reason I went back the following Saturday.  Pretty amazing for me: a guy who HATES Christian music.  Just goes to show that good music is good music...and as "positive" and "encouraging" as K-Love can be, bad music is bad.  Okay, tangential rant over.

Speaking of opinions: in my opinion, In My Opinion rocks!  These guys have a wonderfully organic feel to their tunes...creative, poignant, bitter, fun.  Playing with them was a highlight of 2010.  We're hoping to arrange a few gigs together here in LA and up in Portland.  And if those shows work out, I hope we can have as many post-concert dinners like we did last night.  Though, it's tough to choke down food while being regaled with tales about poultry in trees at a gas station ("yeah, we've got a chicken problem"), torching furniture in the back yard, the Sheridan Mud Drags (the city's fire dept turns the hoses on a pile of dirt and the locals race trucks),  and turning the bed of a pickup truck into a swimming pool.  Abs hurt lots from laughing so hard.

Finally headed home around 1:00a.  Figured that would be a safe time to brave the 5 fwy traffic through East LA.  Irvine to Eagle Rock: 35 minutes.  I should say so.

3 comments:

Lennox Fleary said...

that absolute highlight of the night..."yeah, we've got a chicken problem"

Dude, thanks man. You guys are so amazing to hang out with and make music.

Forgot to ask if you'll be available to Cello at Purple Church Worship on March 27th.

The Muesli Mixer said...

"and how did the chicken get up there?" i was dying!

dude: you ask, i play. or, you ask: i adjust my schedule so i can play. i'm available...and delighted.

Unknown said...

never coud rite that nice but i ust ta coud. ! ha

Great times, Can't wait to do it again. We'll find some chickens together